Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hubbard in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Hubbard City News

 
 
The Hubbard City News Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
1. The Hubbard City News Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  S.H. Sayer began publication of the "Hubbard City News" in 1881, the year the town was founded. The business later merged with S.R. Boyd's paper, the "Texas Pick and Pan" and the "Hubbard City Progress", a newspaper started in 1901 by brothers George and Jim Mecklin, former "City News" workers. Through their leadership and later ownership by Andy and Ralph Mecklin, the paper became a prominent publication of central Texas. In 1969 it was purchased by the News Publishing Co. of Mexia. A "City News" office at this site was destroyed by a tornado in 1973.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2589.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 31° 50.799′ N, 96° 47.719′ W. Marker is in Hubbard, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of North Magnolia Avenue (State Highway 171) and NE 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on North Magnolia Avenue. Marker stands with two others in front of Hubbard City Hall. Touch for map.
The Hubbard City News Marker and two others at Hubbard City Hall image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
2. The Hubbard City News Marker and two others at Hubbard City Hall
The Hubbard City News marker is the rightmost marker. The center one is about the town of Hubbard itself and the leftmost is about Tris Speaker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 N Magnolia Ave, Hubbard TX 76648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hubbard (a few steps from this marker); Hometown of Tris Speaker (a few steps from this marker); Munger Community (approx. 6.1 miles away); German Settlers in Hill County (approx. 7.6 miles away); Town of Penelope (approx. 7.8 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Mt. Calm Methodist Church (approx. 8 miles away); Mt. Antioch Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hubbard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=91853

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 10, 2021