Lake Solitude Dam (also known as the Taylor Dam) was constructed in 1858 across the South Branch of the Raritan River to provide hydro-power and hydro-electric power to Taylor Iron and Steel Company.
The original falls structure (spillway) was referred to as a "crib" dam. This crib dam was replaced in 1909 with the current spillway structure which is 175 feet wide and 40 feet tall and is known as a stone buttress dam.
The dam structure designed by NJ Engineer Col. Frank Tainter is the earliest example of a steel reinforced dam and the last remaining example of a buttress dam in the state of New Jersey.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 40° 40.528′ N, 74° 53.229′ W. Marker is in High Bridge, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from Mine Road. Marker is located along the Columbia Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Bridge NJ 08829, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taylor Steelworkers Historic Greenway (here, next to this marker); Lake Solitude and Taylor Falls
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2015, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2015, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.