Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
This tablet was presented by The National Mary Washington Memorial Association
(Chartered February 22, 1890 - February 22, 1962)
by whose devoted efforts this monument was erected and this site maintained.
Erected by The National Mary Washington Memorial Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is February 22, 1890.
Location. 38° 18.353′ N, 77° 28.145′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Washington Avenue and Pitt Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. George Eskridge Memorial Tree (here, next to this marker); The Mary Washington Monument (a few steps from this marker); Welcome (a few steps from this marker); Mary Washington Burial Site Religious Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Recreation Park (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fredericksburg Granite (about 600 feet away); The Canal Ditch: Battlefield Obstacle (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. The grounds of the Mary Washington Monument contain three standing historical resources: the monument itself; the Gordon Family Cemetery; and Meditation Rock, a natural feature associated with Mary Washington's life. The monument consists of a 20-foot tall granite obelisk set atop a 10-foot base. Two sides of the base are engraved with lettering. The front contains raised relief letters reading "Mary The Mother of Washington." The reverse side is engraved with the lines "Erected By Her Country-Women." The simple monument is surrounded by an iron fence and boxwood bushes. Immediately adjacent to the monument, enclosed by a brick wall, stands the Gordon Family cemetery. The cemetery contains approximately ten Gordon family graves marked variously by an obelisk, upright headstones, and by engraved slab tombs. Meditation Rock occupies the edge of the ridge that descends down on the northwest corner of the grounds. The rock formation is marked by the historical marker mentioned on this page.
In addition, the site contains a tree dedicated to Mary Ball Washington's guardian, Colonel George Eskridge (see other nearby markers for more information). According to the associated plaque, the tree was moved to this site from Eskridge's Westmoreland County home "Sandy Point" in 1937 under the sponsorship of Mrs. Elise Towson Coele.
The Mary Washington Monument was completed in 1893 and dedicated the following year under the sponsorship of the National Mary Washington Memorial Association and the Fredericksburg Mary Washington Memorial Association. William J. Crawford of John Crawford and Son of Buffalo, New York, designed the monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,545 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.