Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Peniel United Methodist Church

 
 
Peniel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
1. Peniel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Tradition states that a young Irish immigrant moved to the local area in 1786 and sought out a Methodist minister from Wilmington to preach in Newport. By the early nineteenth century, a permanent Methodist Society had been established in the area. In 1809, a small frame meeting house was built on land conveyed by Thomas Latimer to the Board of Trustees consisting of Joseph Lynam, John Miller, Dennis Dougherty, Benjamin Hersey and Samuel Wood. The church was formally incorporated in 1810. On November 7, 1842, Sabilla Stone donated a house for a parsonage along with two lots of land for support of the church. The original church building was replaced on the same site by a brick church in 1864. As noted in a late nineteenth century historical resource “The Church has a large membership, numbering about two hundred in 1887, and also maintains a flourishing Sabbath-school.” The church building was remodeled in 1890 and a new addition was built in 1937. A new section, used as the sanctuary, was completed and dedicated in 1954. Today, Peniel United Methodist Church continues to provide for the spiritual needs of the community it serves.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected 2011 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-191.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
 
Location. 39° 42.836′ N, 75° 36.477′ W. Marker is in Newport, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on E. Market Street, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 E Market Street, Wilmington DE 19804, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oliver Evans (1755-1819) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Honor of All Veterans (about 600 feet away); Sentinel Tree Planting (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bobby Hall, Sr. (approx. one mile away); The Delaware Continentals (approx. 1.3 miles away); Delaware Military Academy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Washington's Earthworks (approx. 1.3 miles away); Five Points Civil Association Fire Squad Bell (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
Peniel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
2. Peniel United Methodist Church
Peniel United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
3. Peniel United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92147

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024