Superior in Sweetwater County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Opening the Mines
In the meantime, locations for mines had been selected and a town site laid out. On October 23, 1903, the drift into “C” Mine was started, and on February 24, 1906, the slope was begun. “A” and “B” Mines were opened April 30, 1906, and “D” Mine on June 30th of the same year. “A” Mine was opened on No. 7 Seam, and later included Seams Nos. 1 and 3.
The work was under comparatively light cover, and haulage was carried on by mules, with a few electric locomotives. The haulage from Nos. 1 and 3 Seams was conducted by an endless rope haulage on an outside plane to the tipple, a distance of 3,500 feet. The coal was all undercut with electric mining machines, and drilled with electric drills.
“E” Mine was opened during 1910, and a modern steel screening plant was constructed that year. A shaft had been
The first shaking conveyor installed in the Rock Springs district was put into operation in “C” Mine during 1927. About 1910 a gas producer plant was installed at “D” Mine, the gas being used to operate an electric generator, but the quantity of electric power developed was so small and the expense so great, that the plant was abandoned in 1922.
The Superior mines were originally opened by the Superior Coal Company, organized December 28, 1905, with a capital stock of 10,000 shares, with a par value of $100 each, headquarters located in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The company merged with the Union Pacific Coal Company on May 1, 1916.
In 1934, when it became evident that the coal reserves contiguous to the present Superior mines were nearing exhaustion, active prospecting was started in the vicinity of the mines. By mid 1936, reliable evidence indicating reserves of 40,000,000 tons justified the opening of a new mine of large capacity, with further substantial reserves partially prospected.
Put on a producing basis on New Year’s Day 1939, the D.O.
Premier Mine and Copenhagen Mine were opened and managed by private coal companies not directly associated with the UP Coal Company.
Erected by The People of the Town of South Superior, The Wyoming Department of Environment, Tern Engineering, Western Wyoming Community College, Noel Griffith & Associates, Sweetwater County Commissioners, Linda Tallifero, Larry Calier and Fred Radosovich.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° 45.739′ N, 108° 58.084′ W. Marker is in Superior, Wyoming, in Sweetwater County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 371) near Berta Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 Main Street, Superior WY 82945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town Development (here, next to this marker); Prospecting (here, next to this marker); Working in the Mines (here, next to this marker); Unions (here, next to this marker); Immigrants (a few steps from this marker); Superior (a few steps from this marker); Point of Rocks (approx. 10.8 miles away); An Unsolved Mystery (approx. 10.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Superior.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Miners Union Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.