Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colonia Villa Gustavo A. Madero in Ciudad de México, Mexico — The Valley of Mexico (The Central Highlands)
 

The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives

La Guadalupana de Atotonilco y la Parroquia de los Indios

 
 
The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, November 2, 2015
1. The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives Marker
Inscription.  
En el altar mayor de esta iglesia. Estuvo depositada del 12 de diciembre de 1853 al 17 de febrero de 1896, la imagen de la Virgen de Guadalupe, que el egregio caudillo Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, iniciador de la emancipación política de Mexico, tomo en Atotonilco, Gto. El 16 de septiembre de 1810. Para que fuese la bandera del improvisado ejercito insurgente: encontrándose en la actualidad en el Museo Nacional de Arqueologia.

El Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Guadalupe Hidalgo coloca esta lapida conmemorativa, hoy CXI aniversario de la proclamación de la Independencia Nacional
16 de septiembre de 1921.

English translation:
On the altar of this church, the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe taken as the makeshift flag of the insurgent army by the eminent leader Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, initiator of the political emancipation of Mexico, from Atotonilco, Guanajuato on September 16, 1810 was kept from December 12, 1853 to February 17, 1896. Today it is kept at the National Museum of Archaeology
The Constitutional Municipality of Guadalupe Hidalgo places this memorial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
stone on the 111th anniversary of the proclamation of National Independence
September 16, 1921.

 
Erected 1921 by El Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Guadalupe Hidalgo.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionPatriots & PatriotismWars, Non-US. A significant historical date for this entry is February 17, 1896.
 
Location. 19° 29.107′ N, 99° 6.944′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de México. It is in Colonia Villa Gustavo A. Madero. Marker can be reached from Calzada de Guadalupe close to Zumarraga. The marker is to the left of the entrance to the Parroquia de los Indios at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad de México 07050, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Parish of the Natives (here, next to this marker); José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Chapel of the Well (about 90 meters away); The Virgin of Guadalupe and Juan Diego (about 90 meters away); Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos (about 90 meters away); Tepeyac Chapel (about 120 meters away); The Pilgrim's Route (approx. 2.8 kilometers away); The Pulque Customs House (approx. 4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad de México.
 
The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, November 2, 2015
2. The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives Marker
The marker is to the left of the entrance to the Parroquia de los Indios.
The Banner of Atotonilco (La Guadalupana) image. Click for full size.
3. The Banner of Atotonilco (La Guadalupana)
Courtesy Wikipedia Commons.
El Retablo de la Independencia by Juan O'Gorman, 1961 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, November 1, 2015
4. El Retablo de la Independencia by Juan O'Gorman, 1961
The Banner of Guadalupe from Atotonilco can be seen roughly in the center-right of this mural at the National History Museum, Chapultepec Castle, Mexico City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.   3. submitted on January 22, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.   4. submitted on January 18, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92262

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024