Winona in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Starrville Community Center
The school, built in 1927, is designed in vernacular style with double dropped siding. The interior was built with a sloping floor and sliding wooden doors that separate the area into classrooms. An auditorium was added in 1930 where plays and musicals were performed. Local carpenters Finis Walters, Lance Lowry and Frank Alba constructed the school. Through the years, the school has also served as a polling center, the site of
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17352.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 32° 28.214′ N, 95° 6.295′ W. Marker is in Winona, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 16E 0.2 miles west of County Road 369, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17936 FM-16E, Winona TX 75792, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Starrville Community (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pinkston Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Winona (approx. 4 miles away); Elisha Everett Lott (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Kay House (approx. 4½ miles away); Camp Fannin Internment Camp (approx. 6 miles away); Camp Fannin (approx. 6 miles away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winona.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2016, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.