Sebastian County Seat of Justice
The permanent seat of justice in Sebastian County, created in 1851 was located on a site to which was given the name of Greenwood. In 1861 another court house was erected at Ft. Smith and since then the county has maintained two seats of justice. The county was named for William K. Sebastian, a United States Senator 1849-1861.
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Commission and Arkansas History Commission. (Marker Number A-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 35° 23.157′ N, 94° 25.582′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. It is on 6th Street (State Highway 255) south of Rogers Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Marker is on the county courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 South 6th Street, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Arkansas River Valley,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Moon Tree (a few steps from this marker); Our Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Purple Heart Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); 50 Year Concrete Street Service Award 1963 (within shouting distance of this marker); Sebastian County California Gold Seekers (within shouting distance of this marker); United Spanish War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Site of The Fort Smith Biscuit Company Est. 1903 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in
Also see . . . Sebastian County, Arkansas, Official Website. (Submitted on January 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio.

