Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Palmer House Hotel
Holabird & Roche, architects
— 1925-27 —
Erected 2006 by Commission of Chicago Landmarks.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Illinois, Chicago Landmarks Commission series list.
Location. 41° 52.841′ N, 87° 37.62′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on East Monroe Street near South State Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 East Monroe Street, Chicago IL 60603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers The Sisters of Mercy (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The DePaul Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Chicago Public Library Cultural Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); State Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshall Field and Company Building (approx. ¼ mile away); First Jewish House of Worship (approx. ¼ mile away); Third Church Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Augustus Garrett (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
More about this marker. This marker is locate next to the entrance to the hotel.
Also see . . . The Palmer House Hilton. Three Palmer House hotels have been located at the corner of State and Monroe streets in Chicago... By the 1920s, the business in downtown Chicago could support a much larger facility, and the Palmer Estate decided to erect a new 25-story hotel. They hired Holabird & Roche to design the building. Between 1923 and 1925, the hotel was rebuilt on the same site. (Submitted on February 4, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 4, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.