Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ballston in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kingsley Inn

 
 
Kingsley Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 18, 2016
1. Kingsley Inn Marker
Inscription.  
Established 1795
By William Kingsley
Tavern On Stagecoach Route
Halfway Between Ballston
Spa And Schenectady

 
Erected 1985 by State Education Department.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
 
Location. 42° 54.586′ N, 73° 53.718′ W. Marker is in Ballston, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Kingsley Road and Lake Hill Road, on the right when traveling south on Kingsley Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ballston Lake NY 12019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Ballston (within shouting distance of this marker); Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burnt Hills Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bettys Family (approx. ¼ mile away); Waterman House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stevens School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Centennial Barn
Kingsley Inn & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 18, 2016
2. Kingsley Inn & Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Larkin House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ballston.
 
Regarding Kingsley Inn. By Ballston Historian, Rick Reynolds

Mutton stew was one of the most popular foods served in colonial taverns in America's bygone days. And you could order "a bit of ale" to go with it. Some taverns throughout America were reserved for men only, some with separate rooms for men only and some served families all together.

Ballston was certainly not short on taverns, all of which seemed to serve a purpose. One of the more famous ones was right on the stagecoach line which led from Schenectady to Saratoga and it provided a half-way point for patrons of the stage to sleep overnight on their trip.

This was what became known as the Kingsley Inn, at the corner of present-day Lakehill Road and Kingsley, in the center of the original "Burnt Hills." It was built by an early resident of the town, William Kingsley, a captain in the British army.

The first floor of the inn accommodated passengers and drivers; the help slept upstairs.

By the 1830s, with a few additions having been made to the building, there were 25 rooms and three dining rooms in the building.
Kingsley Inn & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, February 18, 2016
3. Kingsley Inn & Marker
At the intersection of Kingsley Road & Lake Hill Road.
It has been said that the barroom floor needed constant repair and was often replaced. That would seem like a testament to the constant use of that area of the building. The building itself still stands, although it no longer functions as an inn.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 609 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92738

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 25, 2021