Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlotte in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of the U.S. Branch Mint

1837-61, 1867-1913

 
 
Site of the U.S. Branch Mint Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pat Filippone, October 13, 2015
1. Site of the U.S. Branch Mint Marker
Inscription.  For assay and coinage of local gold during the Carolinas gold rush, the first gold discovered in America. William Strickland designed the building. In 1936 the Mint was moved to the Eastover area to become The Mint Museum of Art.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1936.
 
Location. 35° 13.791′ N, 80° 50.777′ W. Marker is in Charlotte, North Carolina, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is on West Trade Street east of South Graham Street (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 W Trade St, Charlotte NC 28202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Branch U.S. Mint (here, next to this marker); Mrs. "Stonewall Jackson" 1831-1915 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bagley-Mullen House (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Visit of General George Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The First Carolinians (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Eighteenth Century Piedmont (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlotte.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 30 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on March 5, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92882

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022