Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coolidge in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Munger Community

 
 
Munger Community Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2016
1. Munger Community Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  In 1854, Ten Labors of Land (1770 acres) were surveyed in Limestone County for Jonathan Scott. In 1872, Henry Martin Munger moved his family from Rutersville (Fayette Co.) to Mexia. There he opened a lumberyard, planing mill, flour mill, grist mill and cotton gin. In 1876, Munger began to buy up and fence the entire Scott survey for a major cotton farm. Two of his sons, Robert and Stephen, expanded the family cotton operations. Robert, who patented several cotton processing machines and tools, moved to Dallas in 1885 to open his own manufacturing plant. The Munger Improved Cotton Machine & Manufacturing Co., later the Continental Gin Co., became the largest manufacturer of cotton-processing equipment in the U.S. Robert also developed the Munger place residential development in Dallas starting in 1905. Stephen joined Robert in Dallas in 1888. He became company president, director of City National Bank and trustee of Southern Methodist University. The Munger farm stayed in the family until 1920, and the family owned 22 gins in Limestone and Freestone counties.

In 1903, the Munger family deeded right-of-way to the Trinity & Brazos Valley
Munger Community Marker and Context image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2016
2. Munger Community Marker and Context
Click or scan to see
this page online
Railroad (T&BV, nicknamed the “Boll Weevil”), linking the community to other rail markets. By the late 1920s, the Munger community boasted a ten-grade school, Welcome Baptist Church, Munger Methodist Episcopal Church, and a cotton gin, depot, post office, general store, blacksmith, polling place and boy scout troop. The population declined in the 1930s as cotton prices dropped and improved roads opened. The school and rail line closed in 1942, and the two churches closed by 1948. Former residents held community reunions for several years, but today few historic reminders remain from this once-thriving rural settlement.
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17714.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 31° 47.83′ N, 96° 42.537′ W. Marker is in Coolidge, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is on State Highway 171, 0.3 miles east of Paris Road (County Route 178), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coolidge TX 76635, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 4˝ miles away); Armour Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
The Hubbard City News (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hubbard (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hometown of Tris Speaker (approx. 6.1 miles away); Mt. Antioch Cemetery (approx. 9˝ miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Tehuacana (approx. 10.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coolidge.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=92941

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 27, 2021