Near Oviedo in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The name "JAMESTOWN" is a tribute to Benjamin and Esther James. The James' homesteaded about 1900 on 160 acres in the area known as "The Woods" on the northern edge of the settlement of Gabriella. Mr. Ben James built a home and farm on some of his acreage in an area called "The Woods".
After the hurricane of 1926, in the Miami area, where four hundred people died, Mr. Ben James sold acre lots to some of the new settlers that moved into this area. "The Woods" had no real name so the residents began calling it "Jamestown," after Mr. Ben James.
The first lots were sold to Bob and Flossie Wells, George and Nettie Davis, Morris J. and Margaret Williams. Other early settlers were: The Nails, Olivers, Perrys, Bryants, Evans, Brannons, Walkers, Ryans, and many more families in years to come.
Mrs. Ethel Burney was the principal and teacher for the students in 1930. Ben James built St. James A.M.E. Methodist Church, named for him and his family in 1938. The school then moved to the St. James Church. Mrs. Louise Williams was the teacher until 1951-52, when the school was consolidated with Jackson Heights School in Oviedo.
Ben James placed a corner stone on the front of the Church which says: 7-30-38, St. James A.M.E., BEN JAMES & FAMILY, REV. J.H. HOLLIES, PASTOR, REV. A.P. POSTELL, P.E.
The "JAMESTOWN" community believes that they are blessed to have had ancestors who instilled in them, The Golden Rule.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list.
Location. 28° 37.854′ N, 81° 14.423′ W. Marker is near Oviedo, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 426 and James Drive, on the right when traveling north on State Road 426. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oviedo FL 32765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this Slavia (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gabriella (approx. 2.1 miles away); Navy Plane Crash/Jim Jones: An Eyewitness (approx. 3 miles away); Lawton House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Oviedo (approx. 3.4 miles away); Michaels Dam (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lake Charm (approx. 4.2 miles away); Banner Dam (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oviedo.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.