Near Apopka in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The earliest settlers in this area arrived circa 1875. Among these settlers were Swedish families who relocated here from Sanford after their obligations to Gen. Sanford were met. It was known as Forest City by the time the area was platted in 1883. This platted area was 1/3 mile south of the intersection of SRs 434 and 436 and boasted a schoolhouse, a rail depot, a general store and a two story boarding house. Most of the surrounding area was planted with citrus trees. By the mid 1880s four railroads - a short line to Salt (Wekiva) Springs, the Orange Belt, the Florida Midland and a spur to the South Florida railroad, all served Forest City area providing a quick way for citrus to reach northern markets.
In 1925 the 7th Day Adventist church purchased 500 acres in Forest City north of SR 436 between Bear Lake and Lake Brantley Road and started Forest Lake Academy. Originally a boarding school for children of missionaries, the school has grown and the campus now includes a church and a nursing home.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 28° 40.184′ N, 81° 26.425′ W. Marker is near Apopka, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on State Road 436 east of Retzer Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located south of the Forest Lake Seventh-day Adventist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 Harley Lester Ln, Apopka FL 32703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community of Piedmont (approx. 2.1 miles away); Orange Belt Railway (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Springs (approx. 3.4 miles away); Altamonte SpringsOldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida (approx. 3.7 miles away); Apopka Schoolhouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit (approx. 3.9 miles away); Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apopka.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.