Longwood in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House
Tourism in Central Florida began during the 1880's when the South Florida Railroad connected Sanford with Orlando. By 1886, direct rail service from the North brought wealthy winter tourists to luxury hotels and private winter "cottages' throughout the area. In front of you and on your left are the only survivors of these wooden hotels and "cottages."
To attract attention to his new town, Mr. Henck, Longwood's founder, built the rambling three story Longwood Hotel in plain view of travelers on the railroad line. Over the years, various owners renamed it the Waltham, and the St. George. During the Roaring Twenties it was called the Orange and Black and was known throughout the area as "the place to be" on a Saturday night.
In 1972, local resident Mrs. Robert Bradford purchased the
Expensive to maintain, it fell into disrepair in the 1960s. In 1973, the house became the property of the Central Florida Society for Historic Preservation and was moved to this current location. It was restored and furnished in the late Victorian Style.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 28° 42.02′ N, 81° 20.799′ W. Marker is in Longwood, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of North Ronald Reagan Boulevard (County Road 427) and West Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Ronald Reagan Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 N Ronald Reagan Blvd, Longwood FL 32750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Longwood/E.W. Henck (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heroes Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); The Senator IILady Liberty (approx. 1.6 miles away); Big Tree (approx. 1.6 miles away); "The Phoenix"… (approx. 1.7 miles away); John & Annie Griffin (approx. 1.7 miles away); Concord Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 5, 6. submitted on September 20, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.