Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
While no contemporary confirmation of Jasper's feat exists (it was first publicized by Parson Weems in 1809 in his Life of Gen. Francis Marion), the exploit was in every way characteristic of the immortal sergeant. An illustration of his courage and resourcefulness is found in the following item published in the VIRGINIA GAZETTE (Williamsburg), May 15, 1779: " The brave sergeant Jasper . . . has lately given a new proof of his courage and address: He, with another serjeant, a few days ago, crossed the Savannah river, took, and brought to Major General Lincoln's headquarters, two Captains, named Scott and Young, of the British troops in Georgia."
Sergeant Jasper was mortally wounded, Oct. 9, 1779, while heroically bearing the colors of the 2nd South
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 5.378′ N, 81° 7.683′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Augusta Avenue. Across from the I-516 On Ramp. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31415, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Jasper Spring (here, next to this marker); Largest Slave Sale in Georgia History (approx. ¼ mile away); Moses J. Jackson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hudson Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Schools in West Savannah (approx. half a mile away); Commercial Development of Western Savannah (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Sengstacke Abbott Boyhood Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Great Dane Dog (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . William Jasper. Sergeant Jasper first distinguished himself in the defense of Fort Moultrie on June 28, 1776. (Submitted on July 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,930 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on February 17, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.