Oviedo in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In the late 1860's Confederate veterans and freed slaves from the war-devastated South began to move into the settlement called "the Lake Jesup Community," to be joined later by others from Northern states and from Sweden. One of the Swedish immigrants, Andrew Aulin, appointed postmaster in 1879, named the new post office "Oviedo" after the city in northern Spain.
About 1870 Dr. Henry Foster from New York hired local men to plant citrus groves on the shores of Lake Charm and Lake Jesup. After the great freeze of 1895 farmers began to grow celery, first in Oviedo and later in the rich muck of Black Hammock on the south shore of Lake Jesup. The two crops, citrus and celery, became the mainstays of Oviedo agriculture for many years, with celery production reaching a peak in the 1940's.
Hunting and fishing in early Oviedo centered on "the creek"—Econlockhatchee—and "the river"—St. John's. Transportation was by boat on the river, until the Plant System railroad (Atlantic Coast Line), now the Cross-Seminole Trail, reached here in 1886, and the FC&P (Florida, Central, and Peninsular), nicknamed the "Friends Come and Push" and later the "Dinky Line", connected to Winter Park in 1894.
Oviedo was a community of 500 when Seminole County was carved out of Orange County in 1913, but had grown to 800 when it incorporated in 1925. Today Oviedo is home to thousands and a crossroads for the old and the new.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 40.264′ N, 81° 12.513′ W. Marker is in Oviedo, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of North Central Avenue (State Road 419/434) and Railroad Street, on the left when traveling north on North Central Avenue. Located along the Florida Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oviedo FL 32765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lawton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Navy Plane Crash/Jim Jones: An Eyewitness (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lake Charm (approx. 0.8 miles away); Slavia (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lake Jesup (approx. 2.4 miles away); White’s Wharf (approx. 2.7 miles away); Jamestown (approx. 3.4 miles away); Winter Springs Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oviedo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings in context. • Can you help?