Grafton in Worcester County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1651.
Location. 42° 12.408′ N, 71° 41.109′ W. Marker is in Grafton, Massachusetts, in Worcester County. Marker is on Grafton Town Common. Marker located on Town Common at intersection of Worcester Street, Millbury Street and South Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grafton MA 01519, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Hooker Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Indian Reservation (approx. one mile away); The Old Connecticut Path (approx. 4½ miles away); Jonas Rice (approx. 5.8 miles Plummer's Landing (approx. 5.9 miles away); Blackstone Canal (approx. 5.9 miles away); Welcome to Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park (approx. 5.9 miles away); Jonas Rice Homesite (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
More about this marker. The marker was removed for restoration in November, 2014 by the Grafton Highway Dept. The marker was taken to Worcester Technical High School by members of the Grafton Historical Commission and was repaired, restored, and repainted using Massachusetts DOT paint color and formulation (ref: http://www.thegraftonnews.com/worcester-tech-students-restore-historical-markers-to-their-former-glory/ ). The marker was remounted November 24, 2015 by the Grafton Parks & Cemeteries Dept. in a new location within the town common about 75 feet west of the previous location at the town's Civil War memorial.
Also see . . .
1. Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission (Submitted on June 8, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
2. Grafton Historical Society. The Grafton Historical Society, incorporated in 1964, is a private organization that collects, preserves and interprets objects related to the history of Grafton, Massachusetts. The office and museum are located in the Lower Level of the Grafton Town House (the former Town Hall). (Submitted on September 10, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,164 times since then and 246 times this year. Last updated on March 14, 2016, by Robert Aberg of Grafton, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on June 8, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2016, by Robert Aberg of Grafton, Massachusetts. 4. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on June 8, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.