Lake Mary in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary
In 1894, under the leadership of Rev. J.F. Sundell, a group of Lake Mary's founding fathers joined to form a community church. Gathering signatures of other early residents, a petition was signed and submitted by Reverend Sundell to the governing board of the South Florida Presbytery in Lakeland, Florida, to request affiliation with the Presbyterian Church. Approval was granted on October 10, 1894.
Over the next 30 years, the church served the community as a place of worship, as well as a meeting place for many social events, open to residents of all faiths and denominations.
On December 15, 1927, the members of the church, under the guidance of the Reverend James Thompson, began making plans to erect a building. Work began on December 26, 1927, with over fifty volunteers taking part to construct the building that now sits on the original site. With credit granted for materials,
Even before its completion and dedication on March 30, 1930, the members of the church held worship services in their new building. This structure was a testament to the true community spirit of its members and those who chose to worship there.
Housed at the church was a bell that could be heard throughout the community. During World War II, it sounded as an air raid signal and at other times it was used to call the volunteer firemen.
In November 1972, the interior of the church was gutted by fire and again volunteers rallied to rebuild the church. Services resumed in the new sanctuary in July 1973 and has served as a cornerstone of the community. Covenant Presbyterian Church united with the Lake Mary Church in 1987.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 28° 45.604′ N, 81° 19.362′ W. Marker is in Lake Mary, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on West Wilbur Avenue west of North Country Club Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 W Wilbur Ave, Lake Mary FL 32746, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Mary Historic Sites (about 700 feet away, measured in Mayfair Country Club (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Dala Horse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Oviedo Turntable (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fixed Signal (approx. 1.8 miles away); Belair Historical Marker (approx. 1.8 miles away); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 1.8 miles away); Osteen Bridge Turner (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Mary.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary. (Submitted on March 16, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.