Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campbellton in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Baptist Church

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, May 20, 2015
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Bethlehem Missionary Church was established March 12, 1825 with twenty charter members and Rev. E.W. Hallway Pastor. Landowners, slaves and the poor were all in the fellowship of the church. In 1826 ten acres of land was bought for $50 to build a church and a public school. The first meeting house was log, and the present wooden building was built in 1858. Bethlehem Church was the first Baptist church in Florida to have a Women's Missionary Society. In 1859 the name was changed to Campbellton Baptist Church and later to First Baptist Church of Campbellton. Full time services began in 1954. The church has been in existence longer than any Baptist church in Florida.
 
Erected 1996 by Chipola Historical Trust.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 12, 1825.
 
Location. 30° 56.92′ N, 85° 23.712′ W. Marker is in Campbellton, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 2 and Fernwood Street, on the right when traveling east on State Road 2. Touch for map.
First Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, May 20, 2015
2. First Baptist Church and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 2405 FL-2, Campbellton FL 32426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southern Boundary of the United States (approx. 3½ miles away in Alabama); When The Lights Came On (approx. 7 miles away); Big Creek United Methodist Church / Joseph Watford Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 9 miles away in Alabama); Cottonwood, Alabama (approx. 9.2 miles away in Alabama); General Andrew Jackson in Florida - 1818 (approx. 13.2 miles away); South Third Street Historic District (approx. 14.6 miles away); Kudzu Developed Here (approx. 15 miles away); Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School (approx. 15.1 miles away).
 
First Baptist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Campbellton's Town Council Former President 2012-2018, June 7, 2019
3. First Baptist Church Cemetery
The cemetery includes an additional marker for the Jackson County Spanish Heritage Trail.

Note also that the First Baptist Church of Campbellton in its 2016 National Convention passed a resolution against the placement of Confederate flags at cemeteries, saying in part, "...while the removal of the Confederate battle flag from public display is not going to solve the most severe racial tensions that plague our nation and churches, those professing Christ are called to extend grace and put the consciences of others ahead of their own interest and actions..."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.   3. submitted on July 5, 2020, by Edward L. Britt of Campbellton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93105

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022