Winter Haven in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Florence Villa Training School
Erected 2009 by The City of Winter Haven, the Polk County Historical Commission, the Jewett High Alumni Association and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-675.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Rosenwald Schools 🎓 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 1, 1924.
Location. 28° 2.224′ N, 81° 42.995′ W. Marker is in Winter Haven, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on Avenue O Northeast 0.1 miles east of 7th Street Northeast, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winter Haven FL 33881, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gram Parsons Derry Down (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1940 Publix Super Market (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Publix Store 1930 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Historic Pughsville Neighborhood (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Cummings (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fruitlands Institute (approx. 4˝ miles away); Bayard Retail Building (approx. 4.8 miles away); Patterson Retail Building (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winter Haven.
1. Polk County, Florida Rosenwald Schools
This marker explains
Florence Villa County Training School #1: This is the school represented by this marker. The first Florence Villa County Training School was a Six-Teacher-Type school.
Florence Villa County Training School #2: This school was built in 1925-26 to replace the first school which burned, also in Winter Haven. This school no longer exists. The location was at the current location of the Jewett Academy at 601 Avenue T Northeast. The second Florence Villa CTS cost $28,450 to build. African Americans contributed $1,500, Whites; $4,000 Public funds; $22,500 and, $450 from the Rosenwald Fund. Florence Villa CTS #2 was an Eight-Teacher-Type School.
Haines City School: This school was known as the Oakland School and was built at a total cost of $18,595 in 1927-28. The Rosenwald Building Fund contributed $1,400, the remaining $17,195 came from public funds. This school was located in the Bethune Neighborhood of Haines City and was razed in 1977. The Oakland School was a Six-Teacher-Type School.
Lake Alfred School: This school was built in 1928-29 and was known as the Fruitlands Academy. This school cost $3,286 to build. African Americans contributed$600, Whites; $350, Public funds; $1,836, and $500 from
Bartow School: This school is known as the Union Academy. It was built in 1929-30 at a cost of $42,756. Public funds provided $40,156 and the Rosenwald Fund contributed $2,600. This school still stands at 1795 E. Wabash Avenue in Bartow. The Union Academy is a Seventeen-Teacher-Type brick school.
— Submitted May 14, 2017, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 22, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 14, 2017, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. 5. submitted on March 22, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.