Dalhart in Dallam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dallam County Courthouse
Ten years later, when the Rock Island Railroad built a line through the county, the new town of Dalhart was established where the Rock Island and Fort Worth and Denver City rail lines crossed. The county commissioners court voted to move the county seat to Dalhart in 1903, and in May that year an election was held to approve bonds for a courthouse.
County government soon outgrew the 1903 building, and in 1922 the voters approved more bonds for a new courthouse. Designed by the Amarillo architectural firm of Smith & Townes, this Classical Revival structure was completed in 1923. Built of brick with cast stone detailing, the building rises from a rusticated ground floor to more finely detailed upper stories, and features Ionic columns, curvilinear parapets, and denticulated cornice. A fine example of its style, the courthouse
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1159.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 36° 3.684′ N, 102° 31.361′ W. Marker is in Dalhart, Texas, in Dallam County. Marker is on East 5th Street west of Denver Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 Denrock Ave, Dalhart TX 79022, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas Sesquicentennial (here, next to this marker); Dallam County (a few steps from this marker); James R. Fox, Jr. (a few steps from this marker); Dalhart High School Boys World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); 305th Airdrome Squadron Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Dalhart Army Air Field (approx. ¼ mile away); Mrs. Cordia Sloan Duke (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalhart.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 22, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.