Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Throckmorton in Throckmorton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Western Boundary of Peters Colony

 
 
Western Boundary of Peters Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
1. Western Boundary of Peters Colony Marker
Inscription.  In 1841, the Republic of Texas granted William S. Peters and others an empresario grant in north central Texas, including most of what is now Throckmorton County. The colony’s western boundary was three miles east of the current Haskell County borderline. Thomas Lambshead was the only settler to venture this far west in the colony. By 1844, the Texas Emigration & Land Company (T. E. & L.) began to manage colony settlement. However, few settled the land and Peters Colony ended in failure. Still, it proved vital for Throckmorton County settlement. The T. E. & L. owned much of the county land and divided it amongst shareholders, many of whom were speculators who sold property to the county’s earliest settlers.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15836.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
 
Location. 33° 11.025′ N, 99° 25.13′ W. Marker is near Throckmorton, Texas, in Throckmorton County. Marker is on U.S. 380, 5.4 miles west of Texas Highway
Western Boundary of Peters Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
2. Western Boundary of Peters Colony Marker
View to the south from US 380
Click or scan to see
this page online
222, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Throckmorton TX 76483, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capt. Marcy Meets Chief Senaco (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of the Principal Village of the Comanche Indian Reserve (approx. 14.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Peters Colony. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 25, 2016.) 
 
View to the West on US 380 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
3. View to the West on US 380
Marker is on left (south) side of highway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93270

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022