Lowell Postal Service
The earliest postal area was at Cross Hollows. Records show the Bloomington Post Office was changed to Lowell, March 9, 1881 with Paul F. Lewis, Postmaster. Insets show a 1900 Post Office building on North Jackson Street. The one next door to Green & Henry Store was probably before 1900. Personal knowledge places a post office north of the Lowell Bank in 1929, downstairs in IOOF building in 1949, and later south of that building, where Electric Company is in 2009. The next move was to the north end of the present Fire Department. Lowell's rapid growth soon required a larger building. It moved two doors west of the railroad crossing on Monroe Street. Yet, another growth spurt pushed it further south on Lincoln Street where it is in 2009.
Some early postmasters were: Edwin J. Bishop, 1907; Jesse Mabry, 1910; Hugh McClure, 1913; Nina B. Cowan, 1919; Again as Nina B. Neil; Perry V. Johnson, 1920; James H. Smith, 1928; Myrtle Nail, 1934; Tolbert H. Graham, 1936; Arthur Mayes, 1942; Canda Smith, 1943; Marjorie Collier, 1948; and Elza R. Tucker, July 1, 1949. W. H. Cowan was the rural carrier in the 1920's. Sam Cupps was Route No. 1 carrier
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 9, 1881.
Location. 36° 15.441′ N, 94° 7.885′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Arkansas, in Benton County. Marker is on Jackson Street south of McClure Avenue (County Road 923), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Jackson Street, Lowell AR 72745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bank of Lowell (a few steps from this marker); Train Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Evaporator Near Railroad Track (within shouting distance of this marker); The Butterfield Stagecoach Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Site of Bloomington (Mudtown) Arkansas (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Canning Factory (approx. Ό mile away); Cross Hollows (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.