Troy in Rensselaer County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Liberty Street Presbyterian Church
1st Pastor, Henry H. Garnet,
1840-48; Local, State and
Nat'l Abolitionist Meetings:
Draft Riot Site, 1863
Beta Psi Boulé, Sigma Pi Phi
Erected by Beta Psi Boulé, Sigma Pi Phi.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 42° 43.527′ N, 73° 41.447′ W. Marker is in Troy, New York, in Rensselaer County. Marker is on Liberty Street near Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Troy NY 12180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rev. Peter Havermans (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Park (about 500 feet away); 92 First Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); 90 First Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edith McCrea House Emma Hart Willard (approx. ¼ mile away); Norman Rockwell (approx. ¼ mile away); “Uncle Sam” Wilson’s Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
Regarding Liberty Street Presbyterian Church. Henry Highland Garnet (Born: December 23, 1815, Kent County, Maryland, MD - Died: February 13, 1882, Monrovia, Liberia) was an African-American abolitionist, minister, educator and orator. An advocate of militant abolitionism, Garnet was a prominent member of the movement that led beyond moral suasion toward more political action.
Also see . . . Reverend Henry Highland Garnet. Hart Cluett Museum website entry (Submitted on May 3, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 864 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.