Borger in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Girl Scout Little House
World War II building restrictions and supply shortages delayed construction of a community center intended as a permanent meeting place for the Girl Scouts. In July 1945 Hudson Davis became president of the Lions Club, and directed the organization to sponsor construction of a headquarters building for the local scout troop. Fritz Thompson donated land near the community hospital, and Borger school superintendent Curtis Cryer obtained plans from Amarillo architect Macon O. Carder for the new building.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15271.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1945.
Location. 35° 39.99′ N, 101° 23.664′ W. Marker is in Borger, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on North McGee Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 North McGee Street, Borger TX 79007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church of Borger (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. half a mile away); Borger 1929 Jail (approx. half a mile away); Grand Hotel and Grand Hardware Building (approx. half a Twentieth Century Club (approx. half a mile away); Ace Borger Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); East Ward Elementary School (approx. ¾ mile away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Borger.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.