Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Frédéric Henri Duperier

 
 
Frédéric Henri Duperier Marker image. Click for full size.
April 1, 2010
1. Frédéric Henri Duperier Marker
Inscription.  A native of Philadelphia whose family refugeed from Haiti, he settled here in 1816. In 1825 he married Hortense Bérard and purchased land here. A merchant and planter, he and his wife donated in 1837 the land upon which the Catholic church was built. That year he laid out land between Julia and Iberia streets in town lots. Under his leadership the town was incorporated on March 13, 1839, two days before his death. The village of "Iberia" embraced the area between Bank Ave. and French St., Bayou Teche and Pershing St. In 1847 the town's name was changed to New Iberia.
 
Erected by New Iberia Sesquicentennial Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 30° 0.173′ N, 91° 48.797′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (State Highway 182) near Civic Center Circle, on the left when traveling east. Located in the New Iberia Civic Center plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 445 E Main St, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within walking distance of this marker. Becoming New Iberia (here, next to this marker); Félicité (a few steps from this marker); The Original New Iberia Fire Bell (a few steps from this marker); New Iberia (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Peter's College (within shouting distance of this marker); Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick Larned Gates (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Weeks' Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2016. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 35 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on March 27, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93351

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022