Number 9 School
Relocated in 1976 from the Kossuth Community. Built of lumber hauled by team and wagon from Westport. Site also had a horse barn, coal shed, 2 outdoor toilets and a dug well.
School is a one room, one teacher schoolhouse. Students from grades 1-8 attended and numbered from as many as 70 to a few as 9. School closed in 1959.
Erected by Mound City Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1976.
Location. 38° 8.573′ N, 94° 49.055′ W. Marker is in Mound City, Kansas, in Linn County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 52) west of 7th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Mound City Historical Park, Mound City KS 66056, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clausen Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Wesley Chapel Bell (a few steps from this marker); Log Corncrib (within shouting distance of this marker); Windmill and Water Trough (within shouting distance of this marker); Mound City Bandwagon
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.