Stratford in Sherman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sherman County Courthouse
In 1901, Stratford, located in the northwest part of the county on the newly constructed Rock Island Railroad, won a controversial election to move the county seat from Coldwater. Officials moved the county records during the night and held a special session of commissioners court to secure the rights to the county seat. After the controversy faded, a two-story frame courthouse with cupola was built at this site.
Fire destroyed the frame courthouse in April 1922. In June, Sherman County citizens voted on two important issues. First, an election was held on whether to move the county seat from Stratford to Texhoma, also on the Rock Island along the Oklahoma border. Stratford prevailed by a vote of 370 to 209. A week later, $62,500 in bonds for a new courthouse was approved by a vote of 322 to 81. The commissioners court chose the Amarillo firm of Parker & Rittenberry as architects and J.W. Mordecai as contractor. Commissioners court met in the Christian Church until construction was completed in summer 1923. The two-story concrete courthouse with raised basement displays classical revival styling in its symmetrical facades
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16130.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 20.283′ N, 102° 4.207′ W. Marker is in Stratford, Texas, in Sherman County. Marker is on North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 North 3rd Street, Stratford TX 79084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Removal of Archives From Coldwater to Stratford (here, next to this marker); Early Settlers on Coldwater Creek (approx. 3.7 miles away); Sherman County (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.