Barrio Ruben Dario, Managua, Nicaragua
en el primer centenario
de ser capital
5 de febrero 1952
Senator Director of the State
On the 100th anniversary of being named the capital
February 5, 1952
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is February 5, 1852.
Location. 12° 9.362′ N, 86° 16.403′ W. Marker is in Barrio Ruben Dario, Managua. Marker is on Avenida Bolivar. The marker and monument are at the southwest corner of the Central Park of Managua. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barrio Ruben Dario, Managua 11001, Nicaragua. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tomb of Three Founders of the Sandinistas (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Francisco Morazán (about 90 meters away); Martyrs of the National Workers Front (about 180 meters away); Visits of Pope John Paul II to Nicaragua (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Rubén Darío's Home (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Monument to the Heroes of April 4, 1954Dr. Pedro Joaquin Chamorro Cardenal (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Assassination of General Augusto C. Sandino (approx. 1.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barrio Ruben Dario.
Regarding Fulgencio Vega. Fulgencio Vega (1805-1868) was a Nicaraguan soldier and politician. Nicaraguan political power had been split between the cities of Granada and León, beginning during Spanish colonial times. Vega, although a Conservative from Granada, realized that a compromise location was needed to house the state powers of Nicaragua. He named Santiago de Managua as the capital of Managua in a decree on February 5, 1852.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.