Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain

 
 
Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, March 15, 2016
1. Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain Marker
Inscription.  In 1929, William Thomas Waggoner (1852-1934), Texas pioneer, oilman, cattle baron, thoroughbred horse enthusiast, and philanthropist built the $2 million Arlington Downs Racetrack, Arlington's first major recreation venue. E. Paul and Guy, Waggoner's sons, were involved in creating the state-of-the-art facilities and landscaped grounds. The excitement of horse racing attracted huge crowds of celebrities, politicians, and locals. The Three D's Stock Farm and Racetrack were located at Division Street (Bankhead Highway) and Highway 360.

The first "no bet meet" commenced on November 6, 1929. In 1933, the Texas Legislature passed the state's parimutuel racing law. In anticipation of a long tradition of legal wagering in Texas, Waggoner invested another $1 million enlarging the facility. The legendary Ben Jones was a trainer at Arlington Downs and Waggoner's contract jockey, Tommy May, was joined by popular jockeys Eddie Arcaro, George Woolf, Buddy Haas, George Seabo, and Johnny Longden.

In 1937, the state legislature repealed the parimutuel laws, which led to the demise of Arlington Downs Racetrack. This concrete water fountain
Arlington Downs Racetrack Marker and Fountain image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, March 15, 2016
2. Arlington Downs Racetrack Marker and Fountain
Click or scan to see
this page online
with etched horses and jockeys was built between 1929 and 1937. It represents the last intact artifact in its original location remaining from W. T. Waggoner's historical Arlington Downs Racetrack.
 
Erected 2014 by City of Arlington, Texas.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
 
Location. 32° 44.667′ N, 97° 4.118′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of Six Flags Drive and Commerce Drive, on the right when traveling north on Six Flags Drive. This marker stands next to the fountain mentioned, next to the entrance to a parking lot. At the time of this posting, Everman College occupies the property. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Six Flags Dr, Arlington TX 76011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. Ό mile away); P.A. Watson Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 2.1 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 2.2 miles away); Arlington Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 2.3 miles away); West Fork United Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); The City of Arlington (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .
Arlington Downs Racetrack Fountain detail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, March 15, 2016
3. Arlington Downs Racetrack Fountain detail
 Arlington Downs. Wikipedia (Submitted on April 4, 2016.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 761 times since then and 150 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 2, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93523

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 27, 2022