Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack

 
 
Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 11, 2006
1. Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  Wealthy rancher and oilman W.T. Waggoner (1852-1934) developed a stable of fine Thoroughbreds and quarter horses at his ranch here in the 1920s. At this site he built Arlington Downs, a one-and-one quarter mile race track with a 6,000-seat grandstand. Racing days drew thousands of spectators including numerous celebrities. Waggoner and his sons Guy (1883-1950) and Paul (1889-1967) campaigned for parimutuel betting, which was legalized in Texas from 1934 to 1937. The racetrack was used for rodeos and other events before the buildings were razed in 1958.
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4724.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports.
 
Location. 32° 44.884′ N, 97° 4.173′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of East Randol Mill Road and Six Flags Drive, on the right when traveling west on East Randol Mill Road. This marker stands in front of the Arlington Downs Tower office building. Touch for map. Marker is
Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack Marker in context image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 11, 2006
2. Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack Marker in context
Click or scan to see
this page online
at or near this postal address: 2225 E Randol Mill Rd, Arlington TX 76011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. Ό mile away); P.A. Watson Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 2.1 miles away); West Fork United Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 2.3 miles away); Arlington Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); The City of Arlington (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 157 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93528

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 27, 2022