Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marysville in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Union County, Ohio / Union County Courthouse

 
 
Union County, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 31, 2016
1. Union County, Ohio Marker
close up, side A
Inscription.  
Union County, Ohio
Union County, Ohio, was established on April 1, 1820. The county was created from the "union" of portions of Delaware, Franklin, Logan, and Madison Counties, and a section of former Native American territory. The first seat of justice was in the village of Milford with court sessions held in the tavern of Nathaniel Kazar. In 1822, the county seat was moved to Marysville where court sessions were held in the tavern of Matthias Collins until a courthouse was erected later that year on East Fifth Street. This structure was replaced in 1838 with the construction of a two story brick building located on the Public Square. This courthouse served the county for nearly fifty years before the county decided to construct the current courthouse, built from 1880 to 1883.

Union County Courthouse
The Union County Courthouse was designed by Toledo architect David W. Gibbs (1836-1917) using elements of Italianate and Second Empire architectural styles. Toledo contractor Karst & Woodruff was hired in the fall of 1880, work on the building started later that
Union County, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 31, 2016
2. Union County, Ohio Marker
close up, side B
Click or scan to see
this page online
year. The building was constructed of brick and Berea stone and rises 168 feet high, four stories tall. Lady Justice stands ten feet tall and is surmounted atop the cupola. The tower is built entirely of wrought iron, originally containing a striking tower-clock with illuminated dials, seven feet in diameter, manufactured by E. Howard & Co., of Boston, Massachusetts. The finished building was dedicated on January 27, 1883, at a total cost of $135,015 and was praised for its "beauty, elegance and convenience." The courthouse was renovated from 1992 to 1994 and still serves the citizens of Union County.
 
Erected 2013 by Union County Commissioners, Union County Historical Society, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-80.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 40° 14.186′ N, 83° 22.126′ W. Marker is in Marysville, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of West 5th St. and Court Street, on the right when traveling east on West 5th St.. Marker is on the north lawn of the Union County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 West 5th St, Marysville OH 43040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Union County, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 31, 2016
3. Union County, Ohio Marker
full view of marker
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union County Veterans Monument (here, next to this marker); The Civil War Cannons (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Military District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oldest Brick House in Marysville (about 400 feet away); Colonel Noah Orr (about 400 feet away); Cyprian Lee House / Colonel Noah Orr, “Union County Giant” (about 500 feet away); Major General Robert Sprague Beightler (about 500 feet away); The Spirit of '76 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marysville.
 
Also see . . .  Images for Union County, Ohio. Web page featuring postcard images of Union County courthouses on the CourthouseHistory.com website. (Submitted on November 6, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Union County, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 31, 2016
4. Union County, Ohio Marker
marker can be seen at a distance
Union County, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, March 31, 2016
5. Union County, Ohio Marker
front elevation Union County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 2, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93552

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 5, 2022