Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ramona in Lake County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Lake County South Dakota

You are about to enter

 
 
Lake County South Dakota Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 29, 2016
1. Lake County South Dakota Marker
Inscription.  So named because of its beautiful lakes. It had been the realm of the Dacotah (Sioux) Indians with few white intruders until ceded by the Yankton tribe in 1858. In 1857 the Nobles Trail was built across its NE corner and that year Mrs. Wm. Marble, a captive of Inkepaduta’s renegade Indian band was rescued at Lake Herman by two Christian Indians.

It was created in 1873 for parts of Brookings, Minnehaha and Hanson Counties and organized October 6th with Herman N. Luce and John T. Hare as commissioners. Settlement began in 1870 when Wm. Lee, John Walker and Herman N. Luce arrived and built the Lee log cabin, its first edifice. Shortly, Madison, named for Madison, Wis. And Herman, named for Luce grew up on the shores of Lakes Madison and Herman, respectively. By 1880 its population was 2,657 and the coming of the railroad that year shifted the county seat from ‘Old Madison’ to Madison laid out by C.B. Kennedy July 6th 1880.

The first train arrived January 12, 1881. The Swiss Colony at Badus was founded in 1878. Wentworth in 1880. Winifred 1882, Ramona 1887. Madison State Normal was established in 1881 with classes starting
Lake County South Dakota Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Ruth VanSteenwyk, March 29, 2016
2. Lake County South Dakota Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 1883. Its present name, General Beadle State College, honors it’s President W.H.H. Beadle (1889-1906) who was known as the ‘Savior of School Lands.’ From 1890 to 1932 Lake Madison Chautauqua brought culture and entertainment to thousands from a wide area.

Lake County, 24 miles square, rich in soil and scenery, welcomes you.
 
Erected 1958 by Lake County Commissioners.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1881.
 
Location. 44° 11.743′ N, 97° 7.792′ W. Marker is near Ramona, South Dakota, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of Route 81 and 220th Street, on the right when traveling south on Route 81. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ramona SD 57054, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kingsbury County / Lake County (here, next to this marker); Badus – Pioneer Swiss Colony (approx. 3 miles away); Original Badus Swiss Colony Site (approx. 3.3 miles away); St. Ann's Catholic Church of Badus (approx. 3.4 miles away); Kingsbury County (approx. 11.3 miles away); Brookings County (approx. 11.3 miles away); Arlington Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.3 miles away); Wm. H.H. Beadle (approx. 12.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ramona.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 3, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93576

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022