Decatur in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Swanton House
In 1864 the Swanton family was in residence here when the Federal Army of the Tennessee occupied Decatur. This force consisted of the 15th, 16th & 17th Corps, commanded by Gen. J.B. McPherson, which had crossed the Chattahoochee at Roswell. Enroute to Atlanta they camped at Decatur, night of July 19.
Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Sweeny, comdg. 2d div. of Dodge's 16th A.C. established h'dq'rs at the Swanton house - as recorded in the diary of J.P. Snell, 52d Ill., h'dq'rs clerk & war-corres.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-30.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 46.345′ N, 84° 18.339′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on West Trinity Place 0.1 miles east of West Ponce De Leon Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mary Gay House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beacon Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Dekalb County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Houston Mill Millstone (approx. 0.6 miles away); Steatite Boulder (approx. 0.6 miles away); Indian Trails of Dekalb County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dekalb County Confederate Monument Contextualization (approx. 0.6 miles away); DeKalb County (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Swanton House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,535 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.