The Village of McComb
The village was laid out on August 18, 1847, by Benjamin Todd, and consisted of 18 lots in Section 26 of Pleasant Township. Originally named Pleasantville, it was incorporated in 1858 and the name was changed in honor of Maj. Gen. Alexander Macomb, famous for defending Plattsburgh, N.Y., during the War of 1812 and later Commander of the U.S. Army. William Chapman was the first mayor.
The first school was a crude log structure, built in 1838 on West Main Street. The post office was established January 14, 1850. On July 4, 1881, the first passenger train run was made to McComb on the Nickel Plate Railroad. The fire department was organized in 1884, with 40 members. In 1887 natural gas became plentiful, $1.50 per month paid for lighting and cooking, $2 for heating. The library was established in June, 1921. The Miller-McComb Hospital was completed in 1936.
Erected 1982 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County McComb Lions Club The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8- 32.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed
Location. 41° 6.369′ N, 83° 47.047′ W. Marker is in McComb, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on S Park Dr (Ohio Route 235), on the left when traveling south. Marker is in Cloe Greiner Community Park, next to the log cabin on the north exit driveway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 S Park Dr, Mc Comb OH 45858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); McComb First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); McComb Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); McComb (approx. 0.9 miles away); World War I and II Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Bensinger and John R. Porter (approx. 0.9 miles away); Indian Green / McKinnis-Litzenberg Farmstead (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Village of Van Buren (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McComb.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 6, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.