Danville in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Close Family Property
Historical Point of Interest
The property was purchased by James E. Close (1848-1904), who operated a blacksmith shop, in 1875. In 1907 it was opened as Close's General Store by Clarence W. Close (1879-1933). The first library was established here in 1913 by Lillian (Ramage) Close (1858-1935). The building also housed the first telephone exchange, the Odd Fellows Lodge and was the temporary location of the Alamo Masonic Lodge and San Ramon Valley High School.
Erected 1977 by San Ramon Valley Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 49.363′ N, 121° 60′ W. Marker is in Danville, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Diablo Avenue near Rose Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Diablo Avenue, Danville CA 94526, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Danville Fire Station (within shouting Cooley House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McDonald's Drug Store (about 300 feet away); A Purple Heart Community (about 400 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 400 feet away); Danville Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away); Cabral/Foster House (about 500 feet away); Cohen-Vecki House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danville.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.