Near Pampa in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base
Construction of the Pampa Army Air Force Base began in June 1942, under the direction of the Tulsa, Oklahoma office of the Corps of Engineers. Overseeing the initial stages of the operation was Col. Norman B. Olsen. Temporary offices were set up in the Rose Motor Company and Culberson-Smalling buildings in town. Col. Daniel S. Campbell became the commanding officer in September 1942, and within two months the first planes and aviation cadets had arrived.
The Pampa Army Air Force Base closed September 30, 1945, after just three years of operation. During that time 6,292 aviation cadets and 3,500 mechanics were trained. The base's safety record was one of the best in the U.S. Training Command during World War II. Despite a brief history,
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4870.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1942.
Location. 35° 32.901′ N, 100° 45.402′ W. Marker is near Pampa, Texas, in Gray County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 152 and Farm to Market Road 1474, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 152. Marker is on southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pampa TX 79065, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rescue of Two White Girls by Lt. Frank Baldwin (approx. 7.8 miles away); Big Springs (approx. 8.4 miles away); Gray County (approx. 9.6 miles away); First Methodist Church of Pampa (approx. 11½ miles away); Woody Guthrie (approx. 11½ miles away); 1934 Pampa Post Office Building (approx. 11½ miles away); Pioneer Cottage (approx. 11½ miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 11½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pampa.
Regarding Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base. As of 2012, the site is used as a cow dairy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.