South Bound Brook in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Abraham Staats House
The Staats House is one of the finest remaining buildings from the second phase of Dutch immigration and settlement in the Raritan Valley. Abraham Staats was important locally as the county tax collector and the recorder of damages suffered at the hands of the British during the Revolutionary War.
The house is also significant as the headquarters of Baron William Frederick Von Steuben in the spring of 1779 during the Middlebrook Cantonment. After a successful review of troop maneuvers on May 2, 1779 a dinner was served for about sixty officers under a tent in the grove near the house. At this visit French Minister to America, Conrad Girard, informed General Washington that the French would increase supplies to the Patriots.
Erected by Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list.
Location. 40° 33.089′ N, 74° 31.288′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Bound Brook NJ 08880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Abraham Staats House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ukrainian American Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Olha (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ukrainian Famine Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fisher House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Bound Brook (approx. 0.6 miles away); Queen’s Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Bound Brook (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bound Brook.
Also see . . . History of the Abraham Staats House. (Submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 9, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 10, 2016, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.