Near Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Rotary Drilling Rig Used in Texas Panhandle
(2.5 miles southeast)
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1860.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1923.
Location. 35° 36.178′ N, 101° 24.36′ W. Marker is near Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is on State Highway 207, 4 miles south of State Highway 136, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured Gulf Burnett No. 2 (here, next to this marker); Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Beale Road (approx. 3.6 miles away); Site of John and Maggie Weatherly Half-Dugout Site (approx. 3.7 miles away); 6666 Dixon Creek Ranch (approx. 4.3 miles away); Girl Scout Little House (approx. 4.4 miles away); First Methodist Church of Borger (approx. 4˝ miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.