— Remodeled 1993 —
In 1948 fire destroyed this area. Thru public funding, and labor, in 1949, this Memorial Building, arose.
Lewis, Iowa, First 1855 Home, Cass County, Court House
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1948.
Location. 41° 18.34′ N, 95° 5.372′ W. Marker is in Lewis, Iowa, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Webster Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Lewis Activity Center, Lewis IA 51544, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mormon Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); World Wars Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mormon Pioneer Trail / A Road and River, Well Traveled (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lewis Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fighting Slavery – Aiding Runaways (approx. ¾ mile away); Rev. George B. Hitchcock House
Also see . . . History of Lewis, Iowa. (Submitted on April 12, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.