Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lacrosse in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

LaCrosse

 
 
Lacrosse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, April 9, 2016
1. Lacrosse Marker
Inscription.  Settlement in the LaCrosse area started in the 1840s with the arrival of John Cellon, a young French immigrant. Other early settlers were Thomas Green, Abraham Mott, Richard H. Parker and family, William Scott and Thomas Standley. The town was built on land granted to Parker by the U.S. government in 1856. Cotton was the area's primary cash crop, and local buyers, like John Eli Futch, capitalized on the growing industry. Futch built a warehouse to store harvests and a general store to serve growers. In 1878, Parker's son, Henry Clay, opened his first business, which became the largest general store in the area. The post office opened in Futch's store in 1881, and he served as postmaster. The town was incorporated in 1897 and was named by either Mrs. Futch or Henry Clay Parker. By the turn of the 20th century, LaCrosse had two cotton gins, grist mills, multiple stores, and a hotel. Boll weevils devastated the local cotton industry, and farmers turned to potatoes as a new cash crop. The town gained acclaim as the "Potato District" and became a major shipping point with a cooper assembling barrels to transport crops by rail. LaCrosse remains a vital
Lacrosse Marker looking south down FL 121 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, April 9, 2016
2. Lacrosse Marker looking south down FL 121
Click or scan to see
this page online
farming area for corn, vegetables, tobacco, and livestock.
A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 2015 by Alachua County Historical Commission, the Parker Family, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-865.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 50.592′ N, 82° 24.296′ W. Marker is in Lacrosse, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of State Road 121 and State Road 235, on the right when traveling north on State Road 121. Marker is located in front of the Lacrosse Fire Department. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20421 N State Road 121, La Crosse FL 32658, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. LaCrosse, Florida (here, next to this marker); Newnansville Methodist Church Site (approx. 5.1 miles away); Newnansville Town Site (approx. 5.2 miles away); Alachua County Training School (approx. 6.2 miles away); City of Alachua (approx. 6.6 miles away); Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School (approx. 7.4 miles away); Spring Hill United Methodist Church / Bellamy Road (approx. 8.2 miles away); William Henry Traxler (approx. 8.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement of an earlier marker that was located at the same location.
 
Photo of old marker taken in 1993. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, circa 1993
3. Photo of old marker taken in 1993.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93838

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 27, 2022