Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lincoln Highway
— Ohio Historical Marker —
Conceived by leaders of the automobile industry to encourage the building of "good roads," the Lincoln Highway was established in 1913 as the first transcontinental automobile route in the United States. It traversed twelve states and 3,389 miles from New York to San Francisco. The first route across Ohio connected Van Wert, Delphos, Lima, Ada, Upper Sandusky, Bucyrus, Galion, Mansfield, Ashland, Wooster, Massillon, Canton, Minerva, Lisbon, and East Liverpool. By the 1930s much of the original route had become part of the Federal Highway System and U.S. Route 30--many miles of which have, in turn, been bypassed by modern four-lane highways.
Map on the Marker Reverse
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Ohio Lincoln Highway League, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-88.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is Lincoln Highway, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 40° 49.661′ N, 83° 16.04′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is on East Wyandot Avenue near Old Lincoln Highway (County Route 200). This marker is located along the route of the former Lincoln Highway, and along the old US 30, just east of the Sandusky River. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 965 East Wyandot Avenue, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Upper Sandusky (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrison Smith Park Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robbins Post No. 91 G.A.R. Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wyandot County War of 1812 Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.4 miles away); Co. B 2nd O.V.I. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wyandot County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wyandot Indian Council House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 158 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 9, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.