Fort Bliss in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Historical Building 241 - The Guardhouse, 1893
Building 241 is a one story structure with a basement built in the Neoclassical Style. Constructed of handmade yellow brick with a stone foundation and hipped roof with a central shed dormer, building 241 featured a louvered monitor. The wooden front porch and transom windows provide an exterior view of the Parade Field.
The original main floor of the Guardhouse included a square floor plan which was divided into a guard room and jail. The guardroom faced east towards the parade field. Offices and bathrooms flanked the large main room. The jail contained two iron cells and was located on the west
Over the years, Building 241 was adaptively reused to serve as an administrative building, a post office and a military police building. In addition to new uses, several new technologies replaced traditional methods in the early 20th century. Electricity replaced the kerosene and coal oil lamps and a natural gas boiler and radiators were installed in 1928. In 1953, composition shingles replaced the original metal shingles. Despite the replacement of a few original elements, the historic spacial configuration of the guardroom and jail remain today and provides insight to the daily activities of the guardhouse occupants.
In 2010, the original exterior architectural features of Building 241 were restored. The louvered monitor was reconstructed and installed on the peak of the hipped roof. In addition, the transom windows and wood steps of the front porch were restored. Building 241 remains a historically significant resource through its context and architecture in the understanding of Fort Bliss' initial development at Lanoria Mesa.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 31° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joshua Micah Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Quarters 236 Sheridan (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Initial Construction Period (about 500 feet away); First Expansion Period (about 700 feet away); Colonel George Ruhlen (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Wallace Smith Bliss Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Polk House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Abrams House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Bliss.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 14, 2016, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.