Sayreville United Methodist Church
In 1869 the construction of the first ecclesiastical house of worship was completed. Industrialist Peter Fisher Sr., co-founder of the Sayre and Fisher Company brickworks, donated funds and bricks to build the structure that serves the Methodist community of Sayreville to this day. The cost was $6,600 for the 33 foot by 43 foot church.
This first church helped to shape Sayreville’s history and established a tradition of community service for other congregations that followed. Parishioners of the church participated in ecumenical and inter-faith activities including family camping trips, square dances and 4-H club events.
This Historic Site Marker is a gift to the people of Sayreville from the Middlesex County of Chosen Freeholders,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 40° 28.262′ N, 74° 21.094′ W. Marker is in Sayreville, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 406 Main Street, Sayreville NJ 08872, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sayre & Fisher Reading Room (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sayre and Fisher Brick Water Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sayreville, New Jersey Time Capsule (approx. ¾ mile away); Sayreville 9-11 Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); Cannon Brothers' Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old School Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); South River World War II, Korean Conflict, and Vietnam Conflict Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); South River World War I Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sayreville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.