Mt. Blanchard / Johnny Appleseed
Mt. Blanchard. This village was founded in 1830 on the banks of the Blanchard River by Asa M. Lake, son of Asa Lake, veteran of the Revolution and War of 1812 and first settler of Delaware Township. The town and river are named for an early French pioneer, Jean Jacques Blanchard, who resided among area Shawnee Indians during the period 1770 to 1802. The Methodist Episcopal Church, first religious organization in Hancock Co., was founded in Delaware Twp. in 1828.
Johnny Appleseed. John Chapman, known as Johnny Appleseed, established a nursery on lots 51, 52, and 53, in 1834. Mt. Blanchard Union School, organized in 1868, was the first high school in the county outside Findlay. The large brick home at the town's south end was built by Maylangton Hamlin in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Dean Cunningham donated land for Island Park in 1932, which, with community cooperation, has been a constant source of enjoyment and pride.
Erected 1980 by Mt. Blanchard Historical Society Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6- 32.)
Topics and series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 54.114′ N, 83° 33.471′ W. Marker was in Mt. Blanchard, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker was on West Park Street (County Route 24), on the left when traveling west. The marker stands at the north drive of Island Park, at the swimming pool entrance. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 107 West Park Street, Mount Blanchard OH 45867, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. This Historic Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnny Appleseed (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mt. Blanchard Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former Site of Mt. Blanchard Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Mt. Blanchard Veterans MemorialWilliam Ellsworth Hoy (1862-1961) (approx. 3 miles away); Village of Arlington / The Arlington Heritage (approx. 4.7 miles away); Ellis School Bell (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mt. Blanchard.
1. Damaged marker
Marker has been damaged by the weather. It is now in storage waiting repair.
Additional keywords. Johnny Appleseed
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 5, 6. submitted on July 18, 2021, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.