Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Albany
Oldest congregation in Northwest Texas Conference of Methodist Church. First church of any denomination founded in Shackelford County. Organized in 1873 at ranch home (8 mi. E) of J.C. Lynch (1828-1912), a later county judge, after Shackelford was organized in 1874. At the request of Lynch, the Rev. Levi Collins (1827-1912) came here from the Weatherford circuit to meet with pioneers of the Methodist faith. The charter members were Peter, Mollie, and S.A. Gunsolus; Mr. and Mrs. Lynch; Elizabeth and Malinda McNutt. The Rev. William Manly was the first regular minister. By 1882, a small frame church had been erected on Schoolhouse Hill in Albany. After its loss in 1888 tornado, a second church was built on same site (1889), but relocated in 1909 on Main Street.
In 1913, under leadership of the Rev. O.P. Clark (born 1881), a red brick building with dome was erected at present site. Its auditorium was resplendent with gas lights, but outside there were still hitching racks.
Razed 1947, that building was replaced (1948) with present sanctuary and fellowship hall. Educational annex was constructed in 1957, to complete plant.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1879.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 32° 43.702′ N, 99° 17.805′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Jacobs Street and N. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Jacobs Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 N Jacobs St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Griffin Fandangle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Reynolds Presbyterian Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Albany's First Public School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Central Railway Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ledbetter Picket House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Albany (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 188 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.