Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity Episcopal Church
The oldest church building in Albany. Methodists, who organized their church in 1873, built this sanctuary on Schoolhouse Hill in 1889, moved it to Main Street in 1909. Trinity Episcopal Mission, founded 1910, bought structure in 1913, remodeled it (1914), removed it in 1954 to this site (former location, Reynolds Presbyterian Academy) given by Watt Matthews, and added steeple designed by Floyd M. Johnson and Joe Blanton.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5559.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 32° 43.798′ N, 99° 17.967′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of N. Avenue B and N. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted on front wall of building next to entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Reynolds Presbyterian Academy (a few steps from this First United Methodist Church of Albany (approx. 0.2 miles away); The H.C. Jacobs House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ledbetter Picket House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (approx. 0.3 miles away); Texas Central Railway Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Griffin Fandangle (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Albany (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.