Eden in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Hill settled here in 1811.
The Town was officially
named Eden in 1812, but
was known as Hill's Corners
until 1822, when a Post Office
Dr William Hill, father of
John Hill, a Revolutionary
War soldier, ran the first tavern
near this site.
Erected 1971 by Erie County Sesquicentenial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
Location. 42° 39.14′ N, 78° 53.81′ W. Marker is in Eden, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 62) and East Chruch Street (County Route 135), on the left when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8591 South Main Street, Eden NY 14057, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Asa Warren (about 600 feet away); AH-1 "Whiskey Cobra" HelicopterDedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice (approx. 1.1 miles away); Quaker Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Eden Valley Mills (approx. 2.2 miles away); Samuel Tubbs (approx. 2.3 miles away); Clarksburg (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.