Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Albany News
The 20th century editors, Paul Baker from 1908-1917, Col. Dick McCarty from 1917-1944 and John McGaughey from 1939-71, gave the newspaper more creativity and stability. Many historians regularly use these noteworthy newspapers for historical research and to gain insight into west Texas history. These significant publications and contributors gave future Texans knowledge and understanding of frontier life, people and events.
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16916.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is June 30, 1875.
Location. 32° 43.51′ N, 99° 17.831′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 180) north of S. 1st Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49 S Main St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City of Albany (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Central Railway Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgia Battalion Memorial (within Ledbetter Picket House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ledbetter Salt Works CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Griffin Fandangle (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Albany's First Public School (about 500 feet away); The Lynch Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.